TASUED's combined convocations holds Tuesday - NIGERIAN NEWSORBIT


Friday, November 24, 2023

TASUED's combined convocations holds Tuesday

The Vice-Chancellor of Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) Ijagun, Prof Oluwole Banjo on Wednesday disclosed that its combined 13th, 14th and 15th convocations slated for next week Tuesday produced 5,153 graduates out of which 18 made First Class.

Prof Banjo said that out of the 5,153 graduates, 159 are graduating with Master's degrees, 60 with Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and 30 with Post Graduate (PGD).

The Vice-Chancellor also revealed that, Dr Tunde Lemo, former Deputy Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria and erstwhile President of TASUED Trust Foundation would be bestowed with the Honourary Doctorate Degree in Economics for his invaluable contributions to the socio-economic development of the nation.

Prof Banjo revealed this at a press briefing held at the Vice-Chancellor's conference room of the University on Wednesday.

The VC attributed the combined convocations to the disruption of COVID-19 pandemic as well as the protracted Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strike.

He explained that "This year is exceptional as we witness the combined convocation of the 13th, 14th, and 15th ceremonies, with a total of 5153 students graduating. Among them, 18 have achieved first-class honors, while 159 are graduating with master's degrees, 60 with PGDE, and 30 with PGD.

"This year Honourary Degree would be bestowed on Dr Tunde Lemo, former CBN Deputy Governor and former President TASUED Trust Foundation. 

"In the realm of infrastructure, ongoing projects at various levels of construction have significantly enhanced the university's development. During these ceremonies, we'll witness the commissioning of the Crystal Building, an ICT-based research and teaching facility, along with the Alumni Building, a 2000-seater capacity lecture theatre generously donated to the university.

'The university has also excelled in research, training, and manpower development. Notably, the Institute of Vocational Training and Research in Agriculture recently collaborated with the Federal Government to establish an agro-processing factory, contributing to the nation's strive for food security.

'Moreover, partnerships with organizations like the Teachers Registration Council have ensured our graduates become certified members of the council upon graduation. The establishment of the College of Agricultural Sciences is another milestone, adding to the university's diverse academic offerings"

Speaking on the recent hike in the school fees, the VC said that after series of meetings, the management reviewed downward the fees from  N260,000 to N148,500 and N158,500 for returning students offering education and sciences respectively while fresh students offering education will pay N170,000 and their counterparts studying sciences will pay N180,000.

He said that the students could also chose to pay by instalments and that under this arrangement the students will pay 60% of their fees during the first semester and pay up the remaining 40% during the second semester.

The VC said "I also wish to address the recent adjustment in the school fees regime. Recognizing the changing economic landscape brought about by the removal of the Fuel subsidy and its attendant effect, the university has however introduced a two-installment payment plan to alleviate the financial burden on students. 

"The institution's work-study program provides an opportunity for students to work on campus while maintaining their studies".

Prof Banjo also said that the institution is leaving no stone unturned to improve on the security of both the staff and students of the school saying that "on this security matter, we are leaving nothing to chance, I have  even been to see the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun and we are regularly working with the state Commissioner of Police, CP Alamutu Abiodun to ensure that everyone is secured".

Other dignitaries at the press briefing included the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Prof Adeogun Adekunle, Prof Ogunnaike, Dean, College of Humanities, Prof Modupe Hassan, Dean, College of Specialized and Professional Education, Prof Seyi Adejoye, Dean, College of Science and Information Technology.

Others were Prof Olugbemiga Oworu, Provost, Postgraduate College, Mr Dapo Oke, the Registrar and Mrs Oyesiku, the University Librarian among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment