Tragedy! 24 family members die after ‘eating poisonous food’ in Sokoto - NIGERIAN NEWSORBIT


Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Tragedy! 24 family members die after ‘eating poisonous food’ in Sokoto

Ali Inname, the Sokoto commissioner for health, says 24 family members have died in the state after eating some poisonous food.

The commissioner said the incident occurred on Monday in Danzanke village of Bargaja ward, Isa LGA of the state.

The 24 victims are said to be members of an extended family living together in a compound.

Ali said a fertiliser popularly called ‘Gishirin Lalle’ in Hausa was used as food seasoning. He said the fertiliser was thought to be salt.

“Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival,” the commissioner told NAN on Tuesday.

“Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive.”

The commissioner advised the public to keep away poisonous chemicals from easy reach.

He advised residents of the state to always separate storage sites for food items from other agricultural and cosmetic items, and to carefully check all ingredients and foodstuff before use.

“Wells should have covers to prevent contamination from faces of surface water after rainfall, the water should be boiled before use, especially in rural areas,” Ali added.

“Report to health facility or isolation camp in your area early when you observe any unusual symptoms or unusual condition,” Inname appealed to residents.”

No comments:

Post a Comment